Friday 3 January 2014

Happily Disconnected

The empty feeling hits me whenever I open Facebook. People look like they are having the time of their lives. Girls who look pretty okay are getting like a 100+ comments on their pictures. When I check out my wall I get about 5 notifications, majority of them being Candy Crush Saga requests.

Facebook portrays a person's social status in my school. Since I'm not the hottest person to be around with I get like a 10 or a 12 out of a possible 100 on the Facebook popular-o-meter.
This is not what Mark Zuckerberg imagined happening.

Now, I'm not trying to besmirch Facebook. I'm just giving an account of the depression I encounter when I use a social-networking site.

And believe me I'm not the only one. Studies show how depression caused by the usage of social-networking sites is becoming common amongst people.

So, now what?

Lets do what my mom did with me. She banned me from using it for a month. At first I was pretty annoyed with her. Later, I felt at a sense of tranquility within me. I no longer worried whether Sara got a 100 comments at her picture compared to my 10. Neither did I fuss about my lack of friends added on it. I was happily disconnected.

Now, I'm not saying stop using your social-networking site forever. C'mon who wants to be a complete nobody on the Internet.

Just limit it. And stop comparing yourself with others .Whether its on the internet or in real life.

Now thats a lot easier said than done but trust me you have no other option since I don't think anyone would purposely choose depression.

Happy social-networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment